THE ABDOOL S. AKHRAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
In memory of Abdool S. Akhran, the GFOA-WMA Education Committee (the Committee) would like to announce the
second annual GFOA-WMA “Abdool S. Akhran” Scholarship program.
Abdool was a treasured member of the Bert Smith Family for over 30 years. A professional of the highest order; competitive, yet passionate. He was a determined and courageous man with a vision. A decent human being whose commitment to integrity, as well as, the advancement of his profession was unparalleled. His dedication to the field of accounting was recognized by his elevation to the Presidency of the Greater Washington Society of CPA’s and ultimately, his membership on the DC Board of Accountancy. Abdool’s life will certainly not be noted with a dash!
This year, the GFOA-WMA “Abdool S. Akhran” Scholarship program will recognize three graduating high school students with a $2,000 award each. Each candidate would meet the following requirements:
- Must be a high school senior graduating in 2020; and
- Plan to enter an accredited two or four-year college or university as a full-time freshman in the Fall of 2020.
The Committee is partnering with the District of Columbia Office of Youth Programs (OYP) to administer the scholarship application to high school seniors involved in their programs. OYP develops and administers workforce development programs for District youth ages 14-24. OYP also provides occupational skills training, work experience, academic enrichment and life skills training to facilitate the development of work habits and skills that are essential for success in the workplace.
2019 APPLICATION TIMELINE
- September 19th - October 18th: Applications will be open and available (see links below to the Application Form and Recommendation Form).
- October 19th - October 26th: The committee will evaluate all applications that are submitted by the application cut-off date.
- October 29th: Finalist will be notified with an invitation to attend the GFOA-WMA annual meeting on November 7th to be presented with a certificate and award.
Note: Funds will be paid directly to each award recipient’s school. Students will be responsible for forwarding their acceptance information to the GFOA-WMA Education Committee for timely processing.
Links to Application and Recommendation Form: